perfSONAR

Download FAQ Mailing Lists perfSONAR Documentation


Recent kernel CVE

Posted February 26, 2017 - permalink

The past few days have marked the release of a couple new Red Hat CVEs:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0293.html
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017-0307.html

Our read of the CVEs does not find any issue of concern specific to the toolkit. Its possible the host may be vulnerable to some types of DoS attacks in some particular cases. If you are in doubt about your kernel, feel free to review the CVE,  upgrade to the latest version, and forgo NDT/NPAD support for the time being.  We are in the process of building and testing a new kernel, and will alert you when we have our web100 patched version available. We'll try to have it ready as soon as possible.

New web100 kernel packages are now available for users of the perfSONAR toolkit. You may run 'yum update' to grab the new kernel. You should restart your host after the upgrade completes. Full details on this particular patch can be found in the previous email.

Note this is just a kernel upgrade and the other perfSONAR packages have NOT been updated. Please let us know if you have any questions or issues.

perfSONAR 4.0 status update

Posted January 25, 2017 - permalink

The perfSONAR development team wanted to give everyone an update on the status of perfSONAR 4.0. When we last sent an update we stated that we wanted to have a third release candidate (RC3) after the first of the year. We are happy to report that it looks like sometime next week we will be releasing perfSONAR 4.0RC3.

We also know that a number of people of have been blocking on doing new deployments (especially those waiting on CentOS 7 support) until the final release. Though this is not officially a final release, we actually suggest that if you are doing a brand new install that you go ahead and install RC3 when we release it next week. We expect that the final will be very close to RC3 and doing so will save you from a transition shortly thereafter. If you have an existing system running 3.5.1, we suggest you wait until the final release to update. We hope the final version will come a few weeks after RC3 depending on the issues found by the community during testing.

Thank you for your patience during this process and we look forward to hearing your feedback after the release candidate next week. As always, please let us know if you have any questions.