perfSONAR 4.0 now available
Posted April 17, 2017 - permalink
perfSONAR 4.0 is now available! perfSONAR 4.0 is a significant update to the perfSONAR software and brings about many changes we hope will strengthen the foundation on which the project is built going forward. Thank you to all those in the community that helped test and provide feedback over the past few months. We would also like to thank everyone for their patience. This release incorporates possibly the largest single change in perfSONAR’s 15-year history, and we spent considerable time making sure it was right.
Changes in 4.0 include:
- New scheduling software called pScheduler that provides increased visibility, extensibility and control in the measurement process.
- CentOS 7 support
- Debian perfsonar-toolkit bundle support
- Updated graphs
- Support for email alerting in MaDDash
For a complete list of changes and important upgrade notes see http://www.perfsonar.net/release-notes/version-4-0/
If you are running auto-updates you should get perfSONAR 4.0 automatically. For others see our documentation on how to get the software. Also, please review our hardware requirements, in particular with respect to CPU, as there have been some changes, specifically for those hosts planning to run and store a large number of tests.
perfSONAR Webinar Announcement
The perfSONAR project is doing a webinar on the new features in perfSONAR 4.0, which will be released on April 17th.
The webinar will take place on April 20th at 11am EDT, and will be 1 hour.
To view the webinar, you have these options:
Or a H.323/SIP room system:H.323: 18.104.22.168 (US West) or 22.214.171.124 (US East)Meeting ID: 177 445 995
This webinar will focus on the following topics:
New perfSONAR 4.0 features:
- A complete redesign of our graphing tools. We will demo these graphs in detail.
- A new test scheduler called pScheduler. We will go over the new features of this tool.
We will review the various perfSONAR 'bundles', and which bundle you should use depending on your use case. We will go over what you should expect will happen when your host auto-updates to v4.0, and what you need to know about updating your perfSONAR host from CentOS6 to CentOS7.
This webinar will be recorded for those who want to watch it later. We plan to do the webinaragain in a couple weeks at a later time for those in other time zones. A future webinar will focus on managing multiple perfSONAR hosts using our Central Management tools and using a central Measurement Archive.¶
Recent kernel CVE
Posted February 26, 2017 - permalink
The past few days have marked the release of a couple new Red Hat CVEs:
Our read of the CVEs does not find any issue of concern specific to the toolkit. Its possible the host may be vulnerable to some types of DoS attacks in some particular cases. If you are in doubt about your kernel, feel free to review the CVE, upgrade to the latest version, and forgo NDT/NPAD support for the time being. We are in the process of building and testing a new kernel, and will alert you when we have our web100 patched version available. We'll try to have it ready as soon as possible.
New web100 kernel packages are now available for users of the perfSONAR toolkit. You may run 'yum update' to grab the new kernel. You should restart your host after the upgrade completes. Full details on this particular patch can be found in the previous email.
Note this is just a kernel upgrade and the other perfSONAR packages have NOT been updated. Please let us know if you have any questions or issues.
perfSONAR 4.0 status update
Posted January 25, 2017 - permalink
The perfSONAR development team wanted to give everyone an update on the status of perfSONAR 4.0. When we last sent an update we stated that we wanted to have a third release candidate (RC3) after the first of the year. We are happy to report that it looks like sometime next week we will be releasing perfSONAR 4.0RC3.
We also know that a number of people of have been blocking on doing new deployments (especially those waiting on CentOS 7 support) until the final release. Though this is not officially a final release, we actually suggest that if you are doing a brand new install that you go ahead and install RC3 when we release it next week. We expect that the final will be very close to RC3 and doing so will save you from a transition shortly thereafter. If you have an existing system running 3.5.1, we suggest you wait until the final release to update. We hope the final version will come a few weeks after RC3 depending on the issues found by the community during testing.
Thank you for your patience during this process and we look forward to hearing your feedback after the release candidate next week. As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
Previous announcements are available at: https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/perfsonar-announce